As soon as I got Tilly Walnes’ book Love at First Stitch, I knew I wanted to make a plain red Lilou dress. I actually attempted this dress early last year – but unfortunately I cut the bodice about half a size too small, and, feeling discouraged, I abandoned the project completely. Last summer, I decided to try again – and this time I cut a better size!!
I’ve made three other Lilous before, but this was the first time I’ve done the proper pleated skirt – it was actually a lot of fun to iron those sharp pleats into the fabric, and I really love the fullness the pleats give the skirt! I added pockets as well, because all dresses could use some pockets.
As you can see, the bodice still isn’t fitted quite right. It’s still wearable, but definitely not as well-fitting as some other dresses I’ve made before. I cut a size 3 bodice tapering to a size 4 waist, but I think next time what I actually need is to trace out the pattern in between sizes 3 and 4 – the top of the bodice is a little too tight, but the waist is just a little too loose.
Even though this isn’t a perfect garment, I’m glad that I stuck with it! I’m really glad to have crossed off another item in my sewing ‘bucket list’, and I’m looking forward to lots more sewing this year!