Sometimes when my mum goes grocery shopping, she buys larger quantities of things because they’re on sale or there’s a special on, and then she’ll give me whatever she knows she won’t use. The other weekend, I scored a bunch of fresh coriander and a big knob of ginger out of her jaunt to the farmer’s market. Since I also had a bag of carrots in the fridge, I decided to break out my new immersion blender and make some carrot soup!
I ended up figuring out my own recipe based on a few that I had previously found while browsing blogs. So my recipe is really a kind of Frankenrecipe, concocted out of parts of this carrot coconut soup recipe from Shutterbean, this ginger lime carrot soup recipe from A Beautiful Mess, and this carrot and ginger soup recipe from Taste!
It was pretty delicious, and I loved the combination of all of those flavours. The coconut and spices gave it a flavour a little reminiscent of a curry, and the sharpness of the lime cut through everything nicely. It also had the benefit of being pretty easy and quick to make. Dannii really liked it, and it made for a filling meal with some good crusty bread!
Carrot coconut soup with ginger and lime
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5cm piece of ginger, finely chopped/grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1kg (approx. 6) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 2 cups water
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt + pepper
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped, to garnish
- Cook onion, ginger, garlic and spices in a large saucepan over medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, stock, coconut cream and water to pan and simmer, partially covered, for 35-40 minutes or until the carrots are cooked and tender.
- Puree the soup until smooth, either using an immersion blender or by processing/blending in batches.
- Stir in the lime juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with crusty bread and an extra lime wedge.